03 September 2007

$30 well spent

Last week I spotted these old theatre seats in the front yard of my neighborhood "recycler" (an anglo Fred Sanford). Today, while riding my bike, the old man was sitting in them. I asked if they were for sale, he said "everything is for sale...those are $30". Considering that I was going to offer $40, it was a good deal for solid oak and steel seats...and he didn't charge me for the two pieces of used chewing gum.

Two seats are in nice condition but the left-hand seat is missing a 4" wide piece of wood. I'll most likely re-finish two seats and keep the third for spare parts. Let me tell you, these are built to last and, they weigh about 125lbs.

3 Comments:

Blogger david hayes said...

That is a very cool thing to find. They'd look great in my backyard...

Sep 13, 2007, 4:25:00 PM  
Blogger April said...

dude, you have NO idea how jealous i am. that's one thing we've wanted for our house---down the road.
sweet find and what a buy!

Sep 13, 2007, 6:12:00 PM  
Blogger stephen said...

yep! restoring them is gonna be a rainy day project...can't wait to get 'em bolted down to the porch.

Sep 13, 2007, 7:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home